Now there are two duckens in my bedroom. I’m starting to wonder if there’s a hole in the wall that they’re sneaking through.
Making all these rails is a lot of work, but it seems to be working out. I’m laying the rails between some of the outbuildings and working on a mining cart design.
I’ve learned in my i’m-not-doing-the-math year plus here that one of the keys to getting stuff done is sizing down to my own abilities. Railroad rails way back in the day were long I-bars of steel that it took multiple hardened men to carry.
Mine are about three feet long, at most, and probably half the gauge. Thus, carryable by your standard mining woman stranded on a rock in the middle of nowhere without even a ducking medpack to patch her up or a strong coffee to give her a boost.
So I’m getting better at this stuff.
But i’m very tired and I have twice as many eggs to deal with as yesterday.
Did some rail stuff.
Had a ducken laying eggs on my bed all day, didn’t know it. Came back inside after a hard and backbreaking and hot amount of work, can’t go to bed until I clear the eggs off.
Less than pleased.
The sand mould worked! I have mostly-straight rails of the length I wanted, and they didn’t explode, and they seem to be pretty stable!
Now I just need to do that a few hundred more times.
Plus they take a loooooooong time to cool.
So I’m going to make more frames, to make more rails, and see where I get with that. It’ll give me something to do in the evenings that isn’t sewing chicken skins together to make leather.
Building my new frame didn’t take long because I’d started one the other night in case something happened, which we all know it did.
(I’m still picking shards of lava-smacked clay out of my hair. Not sure how I didn’t lose an eyeball.)
So now I’m packing sand into it instead of clay. The sand here seems to pack well – the grains look and feel pretty consistent – so i’m hoping I can pack the entire mould, carefully remove the wood templates, pour the metal once the sand has dried, and maybe have rails.
I poured the molten iron into the frame and there was a lot of exploding and I don’t have a frame anymore.
Apparently ceramics shouldn’t be made with high speed and wet clay.
Back to the drawing board.